Wednesday, May 5, 2010

feminism


After 18 years of college and grad school, raising two girls (at least one of whom turned out normal) practically on her own , more than 10 years of teaching history to some really stupid college freshmen, running a household that included caring for her ailing mother (for 9 years) my mom is defending her dissertation today -- as I write this, in fact.

It is about the history of the Equal Rights Amendment in Oklahoma. And word on the street is it's a pretty great little book.
I can't wait to read it.
If all goes accordingly, as I'm sure it will, she will finally be a real live professor on Friday, May 14th. And I will be lucky enough to witness it.

Even if all does not go according to plan, she's still tops in my book.
These awesome little suffrage fliers, original to the era, make me think of her.

Feminism has never been a dirty word in my family.

1 comment:

resident said...

Thank you, sweetie. What a wonderful post. And what an even more wonderful daughter you are.

I'm glad you've got the Canon - you've taken tons of incredibly beautiful photos.

Can't wait to see you next week.

Love you,
Mom, Ph.D.