Sunday, April 4, 2010

Variation on Commemorative Transfiguration

This morning at Easter service I knew the melody to one of the hymns we sung based solely on my familiarity with a certain Sufjan Stevns song.

I felt both embarassed and incredibly smug that I had learned something so obviously important through my obsessive osmosis of pop-culture, as opposed to the way I should have learned it. And I was totally sure that everyone could tell the tall girl in the back with the big metallic cuff only knows this song because some guy put it on a mix CD for her at the beginning of her musical education.

It was akin to the feeling I had when I found out that the really catchy "Come Together" song they used on the hip commercial for the flat screen wasn't written exclusively for the TV commercial...

No comments: