Monday, June 14, 2010

it can't swim, apparently

I bought this absurdly obsolete thing for $1 on Saturday morning.


A small, English woman, directly out of an Agatha Christie novel, had set up tables across from the farmer's market. She had an assortment of vintage shoes, nighties, hankies, magazines.

I couldn't resist.
A bit of research has revealed that this particular machine -- the Polaroid Land Camera 104 isn't especially rare, nor does it take particularly great photos. Plastic lens, plastic body. Apparently four or five models of the land cameras were made with glass lenses and metal bodies. And those, my friends, are the ones you want to get your hands on. So keep an eye out!

Despite the ridiculousness of the thing-- the sheer size and the silly nostalgia throwback of it all -- I look forward to getting my hands on some instant film. Though at $12 for 10 frames, I may have to save it for hipster weddings and rooftop parties in the Village.

No comments: