Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Charm School

I'm kind of a charmer.
Really.
I'm an acquired taste-- "Like sushi," says the Canadian. Or dark chocolate, perhaps? Instead of raw fish?

We've determined that it takes me a while to get to know people and it takes people a while to warm up to me. But something I've learned, and have become more forthcoming about is that when I put my mind to it, I have the manipulative skills to get anyone I want to to really really like me. A lot. Seriously.

I have used this skill many times throughout my life. As a child, teachers fought over who would get me in their class. And once I set my sights on someone who I want to like me, it usually only takes a few weeks to accomplish my goal. It's manipulative, sure, I guess. But it comes from a very real desire on my part to get to know someone and be close to a person who I think is wonderful. So in the end we've both gotten what we want. Or, what we think we want.

So when I (and this doesn't happen often, although it's occurring more and more recently) come across a person who is so clearly indifferent to me, someone who, even after a handful of meetings in which I've turned on the requisite charm and the pizazz, seems as disengaged as on Day 1, I get even more intrigued.

My, oh, my, what is it that makes these people so incredibly fantastic, unique and intelligent that they can see through my witticisms, self-deprecation and sparkly silences?!

And then I get mildly needy.

Like me. Please. LIKE ME.

No comments: